What makes a BBQ go from good to great? Having an excellent full-of-flavor marinade and delicious BBQ toppers. In this article, I’ll share with you the winning marinade formula and provide some ideas on toppers that will get your mouth watering.
The Secret Formula For A Winning Marinade
A good marinade consists of five basic components with a very specific oil-to-acid ratio. Once you understand the components of the ratio it’s easy to route around your cupboards and refrigerator to make your own marinade masterpiece.
1. Oil – Canola, Olive, Peanut, Sesame, Avocado
This is the bedrock of your marinade. You’ll need 3 parts oil to 1 part acid. To increase the impact of your marinade to it’s fullest, split your oil into 1/2 neutral-flavored, like canola, and the other 1/2 extra-virgin oil. If you only have one oil, just use what you have.
2. Acid – Any citrus juice (orange, lemon, limes) or vinegar (apple, red wine, balsamic)
The key to great marinades is that the acid needs to be 1 part to the 3 parts oil. If you overdo the acid the marinade won’t work as well and might just ruin the meal.
3. Sugar – white, brown, honey, agave, maple syrup
For your sugar, you’ll want to add around 2 tablespoons for every 1/2 cup of oil that you use. Choose the type of sugar that feels right for you.
4. Salt – fine sea salt, fish sauce, soy sauce Worcestershire sauce
Add salt to taste. About 1 tablespoon for every 1/2 cup of oil.
5. Herbs & Spices – fresh or dried herbs, garlic, onions, ginger, lemongrass, citrus zest, cilantro, crushed red pepper
Add herbs and spices to taste. Get creative. Add in some herbs and spices that you like – kick up those that you particularly enjoy. Have fun and experiment.
The Winning Marinade Formula In Action
I’ll provide you with a recipe so that you can see the five basic components in action. In Grenada, you can get all of these ingredients most of the time. When you can’t get a lemon, use lime or vinegar. If you can only get parsley and not cilantro, just add more parsley. If you’ve run out of honey, use some sugar or maple syrup.
As long as you stick to the basic formula, your marinade will add delicious flavor to your BBQ vegetables and meats.
The Winning Marinade for Veggies, Chicken, Pork, Beef & Fish
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (It will take about 2 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt (don’t use rock salt…it doesn’t disintegrate)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Marinades are just one part of a great BBQ. Toppers also have the ability to turn a good BBQ into a great one.
When you decided to have a BBQ it’s traditional to think about what vegetables and meats to use. But often the toppers get overlooked and it’s a last-minute decision. May I suggest that you consider the toppers first and then choose the veg and meat that goes best with them?
I’m going to list some of our favorite BBQ toppers. As you read through them take notice that the idea of a BBQ gets more exciting!
Toppers To Transform A Good BBQ To A Great BBQ
– Crumbly Blue Cheese
– Crispy Bacon Rashers
– A Substantial Clump Of Fresh Sprouts
– Sweet Gooey Caramelized Onions
– Thick Wedges of Avocado & Tomato Seasoned With Lemon, Salt & Pepper
– Softly Fried Onions & Peppers
– Seasoned Hummus & Roasted Red Peppers
– Sun-dried Tomatoes, Fresh Feta and Greens
In A Rush? Not Feeling Creative?!
That’s okay. At Meat & Meet, we’ve got your back. Give one of our delicious homemade marinades a try:
- a sweet marinade for baby back pork ribs that’s so good you’ll be forced to lick your fingers
- a Teriyaki sauce for your chicken legs, wings or fish that will please the whole family
- a special Texan sauce for your baby back pork ribs that comes to life on grilled meat
- spicy chili oil or aromatic herb olive oil, simply a staple for any meal
And if you’re looking for some special toppers, come check out our display case to see what we’ve got. Test out two of our most popular toppers:
- a pad of distinctly tasting garlic or basil butter which will deepen the flavor of the meat
- a delicate portion of delicious caramelized onions or soft smothering of savory Blue cheese
Visit Meat & Meet Market
Visit our market store located at Le Phare Bleu Marina. We can easily be accessed by car or dinghy. And make sure to get our price list and sign up for our newsletter to hear about our weekly specials, recipes, locally sourced goodies, and much more. Leave your name and email below.